Sunday, January 2, 2011

Closet a la Mexicanada

Here's the first closet and the way they supported the cement for the internal shelves and the large shelf above. Very ingenious forms they built. The top shelf is the same principle as the large shelf in the bodega but the internal shelves are something new. We tried white cement with color and 'marmol' (marble). This week we will use a grinder to smooth the surface and the marble chunks will show through the color.

This marmol idea was to show how it would work on a kitchen counter top but at this point I'm thinking it's too labor intensive. The next closet is just going to be smooth finish cement that gets painted later.

The other issue is I believe the albañiles are getting tired of the stucco work. I don't mean bored, but physically tired. Throwing cement at a wall all day for weeks on end is difficult and not many people can do it. These smaller projects give them a break ... but I need to get the house stuccoed so I can install windows and doors and get the electrician in to finish the wiring. Will have to have a sit down with them this week and maybe bring in another guy.













2 comments:

Trinidad said...

This is a beautiful closet I would like to get something like that in my bedroom. I like how the bottome rises a couple of inches so the dirt doesn't get in there.

sparks_mex said...

It is nice and these guys do great work .... but it is labor intensive and I'll wait before the next one or the kitchen counters. Getting the whole house stuccoed is more important at this point

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...