Sunday, March 13, 2011

Kitchen counters

Decided on white cement with granite chips for the counters. Here's the construction process after building the support walls.

Fill the major portion with normal cement and then cover with the white cement and granite chips (granito). I chose size number 2 for the granite size but larger might have been more interesting. Next comes a lot of sanding with a grinder followed by hand sanding with wet/dry sandpaper.

Filled with cement

White cement and granite mix

Counters after some sanding

Also did a little house painting while they worked on the kitchen

2 comments:

Trinidad Salamanca said...

I was glad to see your post of the kitchen counters. My house still doesn't have any and I am trying to talk my husband into doing concrete countertops with a nice finish.

I am trying to avoid tiled countertops because I dislike groutlines where food is being prepared, however I understand oil and other things can stain concrete so I am still unsure of what we will do. I am glad to see yours turned out very well.

sparks_mex said...

Well we're not finished polishing them ... but after tht they definately need to be sealed.

So far I'm going with Festex Silicón. It soaks in deep and has excellent water repellent properties and it doesn't change the appearance of the material to which it is applied

Anything else is a surface coat that may peal after awhile and questionable with a hot pan.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...